In this blog, we will provide you with some of the details that will help you in calculating the amount you will be paying for moving boxes for your next move.
What Are Moving Boxes?
It is very important to have proper knowledge about the type of boxes you need while moving. The selection of the right boxes can help you to get a successful move. Have a look at the types of boxes that you should consider while house move.
Types of Moving Boxes
- Small Box: Small moving boxes are a must-have! These boxes are usually made from sturdy cardboard, and selecting the right ones for your items ensures a successful transition. Researching which ones are best for you is essential, as it guarantees that all your belongings will come out of the move undamaged.
- Medium Box: Medium moving boxes are the king of the moving process. It can be used for various purposes. You can put anything in the box like pots, pans, toys, antiques, mementos, kitchen utensils, clothes, house accessories, and more. They come with an approximate size of 3 cubic feet.
- Large Box: They come with an approximate size of 4.5 cubic feet. Most of the movers prefer to fill large boxes with lightweight items like pillows, blankets, and clothing. Consistently, as the size of the container increases, the weight of the items should decrease for safety purposes. This way you wouldn’t get hurt and would be able to save your items from breakage and damage.
- Extra Large Box: Large boxes are very helpful in moving heavy-duty items. Large boxes are durable and good in quality still, you have to be aware that even heavy-duty large boxes are not designed for the weight of the item which is more than 18kg.
- Dish Pack: There is nothing worse than having broken and cracked crockery at the time of arrival to your new home. For safety purposes, you can use dish pack boxes. These boxes come with a design of divided cells so that you can easily transport fragile items like bowls, stemware, dishes, and other kitchen items. Using dish packs while moving is an excellent time-saving idea.
- Art Crates: If you are an art lover and spend your time collecting beautiful art pieces, you will not like it if they get damaged during relocation. For this, you’ll definitely want something that can keep your items safe and damage-free while moving. The answer to this problem is art crates. You can easily customize these boxes depending on your item size and shape and ensure proper safety to them. While hiring a moving company will give you ease to move them. Detailed communication with the moving team will ensure a successful move to avoid the loss of your delicate items.
- Wardrobe boxes: Wardrobe boxes are also known as garment management boxes, these boxes come with the efficiency to carry multiple clothes. They allow garments to stay straight during the move. It would help you to save your time.
- Mirror and picture boxes: Using mirror boxes while moving home can help to put an extra layer of protection to the mirrors and photo frames. Mirror boxes save them from the breakage while transitioning. You can choose any type and size of the box as per your requirement.
Average Price of Moving Boxes According to Its Size
Cost of moving boxes depends on various factors like size, quality, and number of boxes required. Here we prepared a breakdown of moving box costs based on the box size. Have a look to get complete information about the average price of moving boxes according to size.
|Box Size||Box Dimensions||Approximate Cost of Boxes|
|Small boxes||17-4/9″ x 12-5/8″ x 12-5/8″ (L x W x H), 1.5 cu/ft||$1 to $1.70 each|
|Medium boxes||19 2/9″ x 19″ x 17″ (L x W x H), 3 cu/ft||$2.35 to $2.79 each|
|Large boxes||19″ x 17″ x 22″ (L x W x H), 4.5 cu/ft||$3 each|
|Extra-large boxes||25″ x 19″ x 25″ (L x W x H), 6 cu/ft||$3.75 each|
|Wardrobe boxes||104.1 x 63.5 x 11.4 (L x W x H) cu/ft||$8 each to $12 each|
|Mirror and picture boxes||$12 to $17 each||$10 each|
*** These are not the fixed prices of moving boxes. Moving boxes cost may change depending on several factors. Before buying moving boxes make sure to create a moving-out checklist to get an estimation of buying packing supplies.
How Many Boxes Do You Need For A Move?
Studio Apartments (15 boxes)
- 5 x large tea chest 100-litre moving box
- 5 x medium 61-litre moving box
- 5 x small 40-litre moving box
- 1 x packing tape
- 1 x roll of butcher paper
- Cost: $55 – $7
1 – 2-Bedroom Unit Or House (30 Boxes)
- 15 – 20 x small boxes
- 10 x large boxes
- 2 x rolls of packing tape (more available, if required)
- 2 x rolls of butcher paper
- Cost: $100 – $120
3 – 4-Bedroom House (50 Boxes)
- 20 x large boxes
- 20 x medium boxes
- 5 x small boxes
- 5 x rolls of packing tape
- 4 x rolls of butcher paper
- Cost: $120 – $190
***All these above-mentioned boxes details are the estimation for the readers. The requirement of moving boxes depends on the size of your house and the number of essential items that you want to move to your new home.
Moving Supplies Buying Guide
The moving boxes are sorted! However, along with moving boxes, there is a huge list of things you need when moving out. Have a look at some more things to prepare for the reassembling day.
- Protective covering (it will be required if you are not hiring removalists)
- Bubble wraps $198.00 per roll of 100 meters
- Fragile Packing Tape ($5 – $7) or you can write fragile all over the box for protection purposes.
- Labelling Stickers 50 x 50 (mm) $90
- Packing Tape – Between $1.50 – $4.50
- Tape Dispenser guns – from $8 – $13
- Tissue paper – great for delicate items ($5 – $10)
Where to Buy a Good-Quality Moving Box
In order to save money you can use original electronic boxes for packing your essentials if you have or you could ask your friends and neighbors to help you by offering used cardboard boxes. Still, if you don’t find them, you can buy moving boxes from an online store or local store in the below section we will introduce you to the best moving boxes online stores.
- Kmart moving boxes
- National Storage moving boxes
- The Moving Boxes Company
Tips To Save Money on Moving Boxes
Use Boxes You Already Have
Instead of selling and throwing your original packing boxes, save them for your next move. Still, if you don’t have boxes you can ask your friends and relatives for old boxes they might have stored the boxes for moving or any other purpose this will help you to save your money by getting free moving boxes.
Arrange Free Boxes or Discounted Boxes
Get Creative with Other Household Items
Choose Your Boxes Wisely
Conclusion: Think Outside The Box
We hope that this blog “moving boxes pricing guide” will help you pick up the best-moving tips for moving out. Follow our moving tips for good quality and affordable moving boxes in Melbourne. You should be calm from the time you initiate the moving process till the end by getting help from professional removalists. Make sure to follow smart techniques, this will help you to make your move easy and convenient.
If you realize that collecting boxes and packing, loading, and unloading are beyond your capacity, leave them for the professionals without wasting time. You can contact the OZ Removalists team for expert moving services. Our team of OZ Removalists will help you to get the moving process memorable and worry-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Most Common Size Box For Moving?
What Are The Heaviest Items To Move?
There is a huge availability of heavy items in the house like a dining table, bed, couches, and dressers. These are the usual heaviest items to move. Heavy items are typical to load and move. Movement of these items may require expert help, especially for the items that require special handling. If you are not sure how to lift a particular item we would recommend you to look up the specification from professional moving websites. Most of the moving companies listed on the website have their own instructions for heavy items to lift.
How Much Do Removalists Cost To Move From Melbourne To Sydney?
|Total Move Size||Price (Approx.)|
|Up to 7.5m3||$1750.00|
|Up to 15m3||$2050.00|
|Up to 22.5m3||$3000.00|
|Up to 30m3||$4000.00|
|Up to 37.5m3||$5000.00|
|Up to 45m3||$6150.00|
|Up to 52.5m3||$7050.00|
|Up to 60m3||$7050.00|
Above mentioned prices are standard prices that can fluctuate as per the size of your house and items that need to be shifted from one place to another place. Make sure to ask the company to visit your home to get an accurate moving estimation.
How Big Of A Moving Truck Do I Need For A 3-Bedroom House?
What Is The Best Technique For Moving Something Heavy?
- Make sure to remove obstacles from the way. That means no shoes, packing material, cardboard boxes, or toys on the floor or walkways.
- Don’t lift heavy furniture or boxes alone. Ask someone to help you in lifting heavy objects.
- When it’s about to move heavy furniture or boxes make sure to use proper moving tools like dollies, ramps, moving straps, work gloves, etc.
Why Are Medium Boxes King For Moving?
What Not to Put in Boxes When Moving?
- Pool Chemical
- Lighter fluid
- Paint and paint remover
How Do You Keep Moving Boxes Away From Breaking?
To add an extra layer of protection on your moving boxes make sure to put a perpendicular layer of tape on the sides and under the box, this will help you to save your household essentials. Do this for all your moving boxes, even though you are not going to put as many heavy items inside the box.